Communication is at the core of how people connect, grow, and thrive. Relationships. Education. Work. Every aspect of daily life depends on communication. For nearly a century, HSDC has provided critical services to individuals with communication or sensory disorders or deafness:
- Our predecessor, the Cincinnati League for the Hard of Hearing, first met in 1925.
- In the 1950s, we brought the first audiologist and speech-language pathologist to Cincinnati.
- We were a driving force in creating the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders at the University of Cincinnati.
- In the 1970s, our preschool for deaf children contributed to the understanding of their play behaviors relative to their hearing peers.
- Today, we’re proud to serve over 1,500 clients annually at our three locations.
The 2024 HSDC Service Award Gala presented by altafiber will raise critical funds to sustain these services. Please join us as a sponsor.
In May 2024, we will honor Roy M. Kulick, MD, as our champion of communication equity, inclusion, and access. Roy is an MBA-trained pediatric emergency medicine physician and a long-time board leader. He is late-deafened and a proud owner of bilateral cochlear implants. His lived experience fires his passion for our mission of empowering communication in Greater Cincinnati.
We hope you join us at the 2024 HSDC Service Award Gala presented by altafiber and celebrate Roy with us on May 16 at the Bell Event Centre, 444 Reading Rd, Cincinnati, OH 45202.
The Laura and Richard Kretschmer Service Award
Established in 2017, the Laura and Richard Kretschmer Service Award recognizes individuals demonstrating excellence in volunteerism. Drs. Laura and Richard Kretschmer exemplify dedication and selflessness in their support of our mission of supporting individuals to overcome obstacles to communication.
- 2023 – University of Cincinnati, College of Allied Health Sciences, Department of Communication Sciences & Disorders, Phyllis Breen, Nancy Fluharty, Carol Leslie, & Jo-Anne Prendeville
- 2022 – Susan Haumesser
- 2021 – Donna Mayerson, Ph.D.
- 2020 – Cincinnati Bell, Inc., Brian Keating, & Kevin Murray
- 2019 – The Shank Family, Robert, Lynn, Mady, Emma, and Nick
- 2018 – Bob Dehner
- 2017 – David Haffner
For more information, please contact the Development and Marketing Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or (513) 487-7716.